Monday 16 April 2012

How it all started.

 I've always liked Jaguars and particularly the XJS. I used to own a Series 3 Daimler Soverign and it was an excellent car. Very reliable, fantastic to drive and cheap to own. It was a daily driver as well, don't believe the Jaguar unreliability hype, the only thing that makes any car unreliable is the owner.
 This is my old Soverign:
 
 Unfortunately, there are two kinds of XJS for sale, the type that's really nice and worth the $15k the owner is asking, and the type with the quickie respray hiding rust, poorly maintained mechanicals and overpriced for all the work they still need.
 Now, I don't mind work, but I prefer to see what I'm getting in to, I don't like finding hidden rust or dodgey wiring.
 So I haven't been actively looking for an XJS, but I would occasionally do a bit of a search online and see what was for sale, indulge in a little dreaming, Little did I know that dreaming can be dangerous, as can an EBay account!
 An XJS shell came up for sale close to me, I had to have a look. It was rough, had been sitting in a field, but was honest, I could see what needed to be done and what didn't. Armed with previous knowledge of owning Jaguars, I knew the mechanical parts for this car could be obtained from any XJ sedan, as could a large percentage of the interior pieces, wiring etc. Considering rusty, non running XJ sedans sell for $500, I thought it was a good project.
 This is the poor old XJS in the field:

No comments:

Post a Comment