Monday 16 April 2012

The beginning

 As with any cheap car, this one needed work. This work started when I went to pick the car up. I was promised there would be several people to help load the shell onto a trailer. When I got there, it was me and the owner. Two and three quarter hours of sweating, grunting and swearing later, the shell was finally persuaded onto the trailer and I got out of there!
 I should've taken some photos of the car's location, it was on a hill, covered in grass. I had to back the car trailer up to the front of it, but couldn't get any traction, so I ended up hand winching the trailer up the hill to the car. I very nearly walked away from it at this point!
 Here is the shell on it's way home behind my trusty old 740 Turbo:

 And here are some photos of the car after it was dragged, kicking and screaming, into the garage! That was fun too, lifted one end with the engine hoist and the other with my floor jack. Unfortunately my driveway is not a one piece slab, it's many smaller pieces that have been added over the years. So I'd get a few feet, have to stop, realign wheels etc. Hard work!
Here's the XJS, sitting pretty much just inside the door. I'd had enough by this stage!

 After I had the car in the garage (and let it sit a few days, I was buggered after moving the shell around!), I stripped out all the junk that the owner had thoughtfully dumped in the car (two wheelie bin's worth) and stripped all moving panels, wiring, bumpers etc that would be in the way of further work.
 It may not look like much, but all the important stuff is there. Wiring harness, fluid lines, dashboard etc. The rest can be easily obtained from sedans or another XJS.


No comments:

Post a Comment